"Every painting is a self portrait" Picasso
About Art Therapy
Art therapy utilizes art media, images and the creative process to:
Reach psychological blocks that are often inaccessible through verbal therapy,
• Access pre-verbal experiences
• Facilitate connection to the self
• Clarify and expand vision
• Build self esteem
• Touch personal spiritual levels
• Release tension and negative emotions
The focus is on process rather than product.
Art therapy can help anyone, particularly people who believe they are not artistic or cannot draw. This is because:
• Techniques such as scribbling, drawing with the eyes closed, or the non-dominant hand are utilized.
• These are non-threatening techniques which relax the non-artist as well as the artist.
• These techniques help the client to touch the right brain. Left brain writing and/or dialoging are then employed to provide the client with A "WHOLE BRAIN" experience.